Preparation Time: 20 min
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 T minced garlic
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 T dried organic salt-free seasoning
- 2 T white flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup milk or Half 'n Half
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup Slivered almonds (optional)
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 T butter
- In large pot, add 2 - 3 quarts water and 1 tsp salt and bring to boil.
- While water is heating, prepare beans by removing any stems and chopping into 2 inch pieces.
- When water comes to a boil, add green beans and celery.
- Boil beans just until tender but not soft. Beans should be bright green. About 15 - 20 minutes.
- Lift beans from water with slotted spoon and place into large bowl of water and ice.
Prepare mushroom sauce:
- While beans are boiling, slice mushrooms and chop onion.
- Warm large sauté pan and add 2 tablespoons olive oil, mushrooms, and onion.
- Sauté, stirring with wooden spoon, until onion is tender and translucent but not brown.
- Add the minced garlic and organic salt-free seasoning and stir.
- Turn off heat and add white flour. Stir to coat mushrooms and onions.
- Turn heat on medium and stir just until flour starts to brown.
- Add the white wine and stir with wooden spoon.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the water in which the beans were boiled.
- Stir in milk or Half 'n Half, salt pepper.
- Continue to stir until slightly thickened to about the consistency of thin gravy.
- Turn off heat under sauce.
- Remove green beans from ice water and place in colander to drain.
- Rub a 2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil to coat bottom and sides.
- Add drained beans to the dish, then spoon mushroom sauce over beans.
Prepare crumb topping:
- Heat small sauté pan to medium and add 2 tablespoons butter to melt.
- Add Italian bread crumbs and stir to coat with butter, then turn off heat.
- Stir in grated Parmesan cheese and almond slivers.
- Spoon bread mixture over top of mushroom sauce to cover surface.
- Cover casserole and place in refrigerator until ready to bake.
Casserole may be kept overnight in refrigerator or may be frozen at this point and cooked at a later date.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove cover from beans and place on center rack in oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. If casserole has been frozen, add 20 minutes to baking time. Cover the dish with aluminum foil for the first 20 minutes, then remove foil and continue to bake for and additional 20 minutes. Bake until sauce is bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Dish should sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 - 10 servings
This is an original JVG recipe. For additional green bean casserole ideas, visit Cooks.com.